Blog Post #1 – Introduction

Hello World,

My name is Mirko Lopes, I am a senior at UMass Dartmouth and a Liberal Arts major with a concentration in Sociology and Philosophy. I am a local to the area, I’m from New Bedford, MA. I aspire to be a writer/actor and currently train at MCASB (it’s an actor’s studio in Boston), I am pursuing a degree in Liberal Arts because I believe that in order for you to create any art you must be informed on the world, societies, and humanities. As a vegan, I am keenly aware of the effects we have on our environment and how we as humans impact our planets through our consumption of meat, practices of capitalism, and use of plastic products. In my free time, I love to bake and since I’m vegan it’s always fun trying out new alternative recipes, even though most of the time they fail miserably. I’m excited to get going in this class to gain new knowledge of Ecofeminism. Hope everyone has a great and ease-filled semester!

– Mirko Lopes

The Blog that caught my eye, mainly because it is a publication I personally follow is Makers. Makers encompass all things concerning the women’s movement, through shared stories about exceptional everyday people, profiles on celebrity activist, and the historical figure who defined what it is to be a Maker. The website and publication use the outlets of blogging and social media to spread awareness on social issues, educate us on the power of women, and inspire new generations to fight for feminism. Blogs on history defining figures like now 100-year-old NASA mathematician Katherine Johnson, the philanthropy of national treasure: Oprah Winfrey, and even feminist allies like John Legend, are what separates Makers and makes it fun to learn and read about feminism and the power of women.

An environmental issue that I find important is the endangerment of bees, the pollinators of life. Bees, as well as other pollinators such as, the hawk moth and humming birds, are at risk of endangerment and extinction. The extinction of pollinators would lead to a loss of 1/3 of all food supplies and likely make many of the foods you love go extinct in the process, such as avocados, almonds, watermelon, and obviously HONEY! I’ve personally noticed the lack of pollinators like bees and butterflies in my own area. I live in an urban area but my backyard is large and filled flowers. As a child, I remember being afraid to even leave my house because I am allergic to bee stings and was once stung, let’s just say it wasn’t pretty and I still have PTSD from it. In more recent years (about the past 5 years) I haven’t been able to spot more than maybe 4 bees all summer, this is an incredible decrease from what once seemed like a hot spot for busy bees. However, I am not the only one who is noticing the changes, since they are worldwide. The annual loss of bees has remained at high percentages for a lot of time now. As seen in this USDA chart, the loss of Honey Bees has remained over 25% with some recent reports as high as 50%.

On the local level, many ways we can help these pollinators is by eating foods that aren’t raised with insect-killing pesticides, plant wildflowers, and eat sustainable foods that don’t directly harm pollinators, such as not eating foods that directly contribute to climate change like animal meat. Everyone needs to see the importance of sustainable living that doesn’t cause the mass extinction of honey bees as we’ve been seeing. The principles of Ecofeminism are our best bet when it comes to reversing the negative effects of our capitalistic, carnivoristic, waste-based culture that has found footing all over the world.

Join the Conversation

1883 Comments

1. In order to configure your Verizon router, you need to proceed with the Verizon Router Login. You can login via the myfiosgateway.com address or the IP address of the router. To log in successfully, you require the username and password of the router as well. Ensure you are using the correct login credentials for the login.

2. Wyze cameras are an affordable, easy-to-use home security system that offer a variety of features. However, like any electronic device, they can experience issues from time to time. In this blog post, we’ll look at some of the most common Wyze camera troubleshooting problems and how to fix them.

3. The itero dental scanner is a revolutionary new product that allows you to get a 3D image of your teeth in seconds. This technology is changing the way dentists can diagnose and treat problems with your teeth.

4. TMS Packaging is one of the Australia’s leading bubble wrap suppliers. We can provide link text packaging for almost any project, from large artworks and furniture

5. Berkeley is a multi-asset private equity company with a strong, diversified portfolio of investments across the real estate, hospitality, logistics and technologies sectors.

6. Berkley Group is a private equity firm with a focus on the Middle East. They have offices in Dubai and can provide access to their vast resources to businesses seeking growth and investment. Berkley’s team has deep experience in the region and can provide guidance and support throughout the investment process.

7. The Toshiba Multifunction Colour printer is a powerhouse of a machine, and it’s perfect for any business or home office. It can print, scan, copy, and fax, and it does all of these things quickly and efficiently. The quality of the prints is outstanding, and the machine is very user-friendly.

8. N3XA is the best metaverse service providers because we offer a variety of services to make your metaverse experience better. We have experts in different areas, so you can be sure that your metaverse experience will be top notch. Plus, our prices are reasonable, making them an ideal option for budget-minded individuals as well.

9. Magnate’s apartments in Manchester is perfect for anyone looking to stay in the city and feel like they’re home. With a fully-equipped kitchen, quiet location, and plenty of space, Magnate’s is the perfect place to call home while you’re in Manchester.

10. Ignite School in Dubai is one of the Top American Schools in Dubai that offers an immersive and creative learning experience for students. The school provides a supportive and nurturing environment where students can thrive academically, socially, and emotionally

11. We can provide a home examination doctor to examine the patient, diagnose the disease properly, prescribe tests, x-rays, and medications for the crisis, and then follow up on the patient’s condition until he recovers, but all these steps are done in the patient’s home very easily without the need to get off and ride transportation in order to go to specialized hospitals and clinics.

دكتور كشف منزلي