Blog Post #1 – Introduction

Hello World,

My name is Mirko Lopes, I am a senior at UMass Dartmouth and a Liberal Arts major with a concentration in Sociology and Philosophy. I am a local to the area, I’m from New Bedford, MA. I aspire to be a writer/actor and currently train at MCASB (it’s an actor’s studio in Boston), I am pursuing a degree in Liberal Arts because I believe that in order for you to create any art you must be informed on the world, societies, and humanities. As a vegan, I am keenly aware of the effects we have on our environment and how we as humans impact our planets through our consumption of meat, practices of capitalism, and use of plastic products. In my free time, I love to bake and since I’m vegan it’s always fun trying out new alternative recipes, even though most of the time they fail miserably. I’m excited to get going in this class to gain new knowledge of Ecofeminism. Hope everyone has a great and ease-filled semester!

– Mirko Lopes

The Blog that caught my eye, mainly because it is a publication I personally follow is Makers. Makers encompass all things concerning the women’s movement, through shared stories about exceptional everyday people, profiles on celebrity activist, and the historical figure who defined what it is to be a Maker. The website and publication use the outlets of blogging and social media to spread awareness on social issues, educate us on the power of women, and inspire new generations to fight for feminism. Blogs on history defining figures like now 100-year-old NASA mathematician Katherine Johnson, the philanthropy of national treasure: Oprah Winfrey, and even feminist allies like John Legend, are what separates Makers and makes it fun to learn and read about feminism and the power of women.

An environmental issue that I find important is the endangerment of bees, the pollinators of life. Bees, as well as other pollinators such as, the hawk moth and humming birds, are at risk of endangerment and extinction. The extinction of pollinators would lead to a loss of 1/3 of all food supplies and likely make many of the foods you love go extinct in the process, such as avocados, almonds, watermelon, and obviously HONEY! I’ve personally noticed the lack of pollinators like bees and butterflies in my own area. I live in an urban area but my backyard is large and filled flowers. As a child, I remember being afraid to even leave my house because I am allergic to bee stings and was once stung, let’s just say it wasn’t pretty and I still have PTSD from it. In more recent years (about the past 5 years) I haven’t been able to spot more than maybe 4 bees all summer, this is an incredible decrease from what once seemed like a hot spot for busy bees. However, I am not the only one who is noticing the changes, since they are worldwide. The annual loss of bees has remained at high percentages for a lot of time now. As seen in this USDA chart, the loss of Honey Bees has remained over 25% with some recent reports as high as 50%.

On the local level, many ways we can help these pollinators is by eating foods that aren’t raised with insect-killing pesticides, plant wildflowers, and eat sustainable foods that don’t directly harm pollinators, such as not eating foods that directly contribute to climate change like animal meat. Everyone needs to see the importance of sustainable living that doesn’t cause the mass extinction of honey bees as we’ve been seeing. The principles of Ecofeminism are our best bet when it comes to reversing the negative effects of our capitalistic, carnivoristic, waste-based culture that has found footing all over the world.

Join the Conversation

140 Comments

1. mywifiext is local path to open genie setup configuration .When the user accesses this mywifiext.net on the web browser to set up a wireless adapter ,it shows an error message due to complications or is unable to compare to the domain
    or visit website : http://mynewextsetup.us/

2. my-dlink router is the best that provides you an unstopable internet connection you can setup this device very easily at your home for any kind of issues related this can contact our experts Mydlink.com

3. Hulu is the best subscription in this you will got a huge collection of high qualitied videos and brand new movies live shows, If you are using this and got any issues related this can contact our experts they are always available for your help. http://www.hulu.com/activate

4. Eero wifi system is the best choice ever it will provides you an high speed connection without any problems, And setup is also so easy of this devvice just put on table and after plugged its wire just switched on it will start. If anyone is getting any technical issues related this can contact our experts they are always available for your help just need to visit our website – https://eerosetup.com/

5. Google Wi-Fi Router is the best router that allows you very high speed internet connection in which you can easily enjoy your live shows of your favorite artists , videos , movies. And one of the best thing of this device is this is very easy to setup just need to switch on the plug after plugging the plug its will automatically start its installation you have to wait for 5 minutes, after you can use its network, If anyone is getting any issues related this can contact our experts they are always available for your help. Google Wi-Fi Router

6. After login to your computer for internet accessibility connect with you re-next router with an ethernet cable. It will provide you very high speed internet. For any kind of technical help can contact our experts they are always available for your help just need to visit our official website. Kronos extender Browser setup

7. Linksys extender is the best extender that can easily extend your network quality and cover’s all dead zones. Where your simple router can’t fully provides an network. For any kind of technical help related this can contact our experts they are always available for your help just need to visit our official website extender.linksys.com

8. re-rockspace is the best internet router that allows you very high speed internet connection and unstoppable services for any kind of technical help related this can contact our experts they are always available for your help, Just need to visit our official webpage – re.rockspace.local

9. mywifiext is local path to open genie setup configuration .When the user accesses this mywifiext.net on the web browser to set up a wireless adapter ,it shows an error message due to complications or is unable to compare to the domain

10. mywifiext is local path to open genie setup configuration .When the user accesses this mywifiext.net on the web browser to set up a wireless adapter ,it shows an error message due to complications or is unable to compare to the domain

11. You can receive an error message or be unable to link to the site when you try to access the website mywifiextnet in order to set up your wireless extender. Since
    mywifiext
    MYWIFIEXT is not a standard internet website, this may happen. It is a local web address used to open a NETGEAR wireless range extender’s settings (genie or Smart Wizard). To access this web address, your device must be either physically linked via Ethernet or wirelessly connected to your NETGEAR range extender setup.
    Netgear extender setup

12. TP-Link Extender Setup connect the TP-Link Range Extender with your router or the access point. TP link extender is easy to setup

13. Here we explain the step by step of how to recharge your cell phone anywhere in the world. recargas gratis
    e applications that allow you to add balance to the balance just by filling out some surveys or forms. These allow you to accumulate points that in the final can be exchanged for the necessary balance for any cell phone.

14. Aquí te explicamos el paso a paso de como recargar tu celular en cualquier lugar del mundo.
    Actualmente existen algunas aplicaciones que te permiten agregar saldo al balance con solo rellenar algunas encuestas o formularios. Estas permiten ir acumulando puntos que a la final se podrán canjear por saldo necesario para cualquier celular. recargas gratis

15. At Donde.pe we help you identify the best companies in Peru so that you can buy at the best price and with the best service.
    We are a 100% Peruvian site that deals with providing the Peruvian user with the best search results. compras peru

16. much obliged to You for a such helpful blog. I
    have no words to praise. I need to share my
    experience with Router UPS 9V .that is an astonishing
    item give by TJmart.pk at an affordable cost.

17. mywifiext is local path to open genie setup configuration .When the user accesses this Mywifiext.net on the web browser to set up a wireless adapter, it shows an error message due to complications or is unable to compare to the domain

18. Technical support for the configuration of the Netgear extender, which also improves the network speed. The New Extender Setup Instructions will be issued on the Netgear Extender Setup Page. Visit the NETGEAR EX6100 SETUP

19. comfast extender setup
    is a easy to do process, which can be done in couple mins out of your precious time, AP.Setup is an offline web page which is only there setup your Wavlink Wifi extender or any of the Wifi extender which supports the AP.Setup